Web Services in IE6 with Silverlight 2

11 May

I had an issue with calling web services from a Silverlight 2 application within Internet Explorer 6. I was a bit confused to why this was happening. After a quick browse on the web, I found this was quite a known problem. Unfortunately, still a lot of people use Internet Explorer 6, so it had to be supported! There are a few ways to fix the issue, but I found this way to work pretty well.

Switch off dynamic compression within IIS. Fortunately, there is a way to enable/disable dynamic compression for certain directories and pages. You can add the below to the <system.webServer> section in the web.config.

<urlCompression doStaticCompression=”true” doDynamicCompression=”true” />

This will enable compression for the entire application. To switch it off just for the web service you can add a location section like so…

  <location path=”FAService.asmx”>
      <urlCompression doStaticCompression=”true” doDynamicCompression=”false” />

  <location path=”MyService.asmx”>


      <urlCompression doStaticCompression=”true” doDynamicCompression=”false” />



Leave a comment

Posted by on May 11, 2009 in Silverlight


Tags: , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: